Monday, May 23, 2011

New Recipe 8/52: Shepherd's Pie

Wow I am super slacking this week.  Sorry to anyone who might look forward to this being posted on time.  :)  Work has been kicking my ass lately, and our fridge is dying a slow death so we have limited fridge/freezer space compared to what we normally have.

Anyhow, I tried this recipe out after seeing Anne Burrell make it on Food Network.  here is a link to the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/shepherds-pie-recipe/index.html

Here is what I did different from the recipe: I used a lamb breast cut up small because it was a cheaper cut of meat.  This was a bad idea, the breast meat was really fatty and so there was a lot of bits of fat I had to keep spitting out when I ate it.  next time I will suck it ujp and buy the right cut of meat.  I didn't have any leeks so I used an onion instead.  And I used dried thyme instead of a bundle of fresh thyme.  I also did not use nearly the amount of salt on everything, but I rarely salt anything.

This recipe came out sooo delicious.  It was really hearty and the brown gravy was soooooo tasty.  This is partly what inspired my bison meatloaf recipe.  There was a good amount of leftovers and there was no issues with getting them eaten up.  It was a bit time consuming to make, not something I would recommend for weeknight cooking but for a sunday afternoon it would be perfect, then you could do leftovers monday night and not have to cook!  It was a bit pricy to make, lamb is not cheap.  I imagine you could sub the lamb for a cut of beef but I think you would be hard pressed to find something that is that tender.

I could have sworn I had pics of this dish but alas, there are none.  I suck at life.  I promise there WILL be pictures of the next dish!  I might not have time to post till wednesday though, so have patience with me.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment