Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Classic Recipe 6/52: Basic Chili Recipe

So it must be no picture week because I didn't take a pic when I made chili the other night.  Whoopsy!!  But seriously, if you don't know what chili looks like you must be living under a rock or something.

So what I am going to give you is my basic recipe for chili.  I don't always put everything in here that's on the ingredients list.  The awesome thing about chili is you can mix and match what's going in and make it different every time.

Must Have ingredients: 3 cans beans-can be kidney or black beans or a combo, 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can tomato sauce, 1 packet chili seasoning, 1 can beef broth, 1 onion, chopped, one pepper, chopped, at least one pound meat (ground beef, stew beef chunks, pork sausage-sometimes I use a combo, depends what I have lurking that needs to be finished up).

Optional Ingredients: 1 can corn, 1-2 lbs potatoes cut into bite-size chunks, 1 jalapeno, chopped fine, 1 clove garlic, chopped, a little chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, black pepper, crushed red pepper, about 1/4 cup brown sugar (adds a sweetness that takes the bite away from the spicy).

Throw everything in a crock pot and cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8+ hours.  Beyond the prep of opening cans and chopping a few veggies, this is basically a cheat meal.  This week I threw it on after I took the kids to school and before I went to bed (I work 3rd shift).  Hubby gave it a few stirs throughout the day and it I could smell it the second I woke up.  Yum yum!!!  The potatoes I was kind of unsure of till I tried it, but they are chunky and make a good filler and add a different texture to everything.  The corn adds a bit of sweetness even if you don't do the brown sugar.  If you choose to add jalapeno don't worry one little pepper does not make it too spicy, especially if you take the ribs and the seeds out of the pepper.  another thing you can add if you have it around is some fresh tomatoes, chopped up into chunks.  you can do that instead of or in addition to the can of chopped tomatoes, depending on how much you like them in your chili.  I never have added them but you could also chop some carrots and/or celery and add it in.  You could also add some bacon.  mmmm, I think I am adding that next time.  :)

I make this at least once a month, even in the summer, just cause it's so easy and then we will usually have leftovers for a few days.  Of course you gotta have saltines to crumble in there (they make mini ones now that are soooooooo cute!!) and I usually add some cheese and sour cream and crunchy onions on top too.

No comments:

Post a Comment