Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Classic Recipe 9/52: Pasta Salad with Tuna

So this is something that my mom always made when I was a kid, it was usually a summer dish.  Come to think of it my dad would throw it together a lot too.  Anyhow it was something we would have in the summertime and whoever made it would usually make a good sized batch and we would eat it for a few days till it was gone.  It's pretty tasty and not a super heavy pasta salad, especially once it has sat for a day or 2 in the fridge and everything has set together.  It's a pretty simple dish to make and especially great as a make-ahead meal.

I never got around to taking a pic of this dish, maybe next time I make it I will edit this post.  Ha.  Let's face it working full time and having 3 kids and trying to keep this up is a bit much.  I think I will be sticking with my 2 recipes per week with a possible hiatus for the month of July; it will be a busy time at work for me and I will most likely be working 7 days a week.

Anyhow so on to the recipe.

Ingredients
1 lb elbow macaroni
1-1 1/2 cups mayo
1 can peas (DO NOT use frozen.  unless you really like frozen peas.  I loooove canned peas and hate frozen.  mostly a texture thing but I think the taste is different too)
1 can tuna
Onion powder
Dill Weed
Celery Seed
Black pepper

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain, rinse with cold water until noodles are cooled off a bit.  Return to the pot.  Add the peas and tuna and toss everything together (you can use a spoon but I always dig in with my hands).  next add the mayo.  I never measure the mayo it's more of tossing some on and mixing it in and seeing if it's too dry still.  It's always better to add a little at a time if you are not sure than to add too much, you can't really take it back once it's in.  If you like your pasta salad really mayo-y then by all means add a whole bunch.  What I tossed on looked like about a cup or so to me.  Next Add your seasoning, I have no clue what the measurements are, maybe a tbsp of onion, a tsp of all the rest?  idk I just add some and mix it in, taste it and see if it tastes okay, and add more if I need to.  Aren't I a wonderful teacher.  Ha ha.

Anyways the little girl from next door was over when I made this and she ate 2 helpings and LOVED it.  My kids barely touched theirs.  Go figure.  Maybe if I could find pasta shaped like lightning mcqueen and buzz lightyear I could trick them into eating it.

3 comments:

  1. This was really good! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking at some of your posts on this website and I conceive this web site is really instructive! Keep putting up.. noodle shop

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds also…I’m happy to find so many useful info here in the post, we need work out more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. sake bar

    ReplyDelete