Monday, May 16, 2011

New Recipe 7/52: Creamy Mushroom Soup

So this was pretty random, I wanted to see if I could make my own mushroom soup so I looked at a few different recipes and then winged it.  Amazingly, it turned out pretty good!  I didn't take any pictures again, but ya know, once you have seen one creamy mushroom soup you have kinda seen them all.  I'm just sayin'...Anyways I will try and get back into the picture thing next week.  it's not that my food doesn't look delicious I just have been forgetting to bust out the camera.

So here was the soup.  ingredients: 16 oz whole mushrooms.  Half of them sliced and half of them rough chopped.  1 onion, diced tiny.  6 carrots, diced finely (They were pretty small carrots.  bigger carrots I would gone with 3 or 4).  3 celery stalks, diced.  Chicken broth (the big box kind-i think that's like 32 oz?).  Red cooking wine-maybe 1/4-1/2 cup or so.  8oz cream  cheese and about a pint of heavy cream.  about a cup of mozzerella cheese.

Get out a large pot and put a little water in it to boil.  Not much, maybe 3-4 cups.  Chop your celery, carrots, and onion and add it to the hot water. Add the cooking wine and the chicken broth.  Next do your mushrooms.  Now depending how you feel about them you could dice or slice all of them, I did half diced and half sliced cause I like having bigger pieces of shroom in my soup.  I used the white cap mushrooms that you get at the store,  nothing too fancy but if you happen to be a mushroom hunter and have a bunch of wild ones I bet this would be a pretty tasty way to use them up.  Anyway get your mushrooms into the pot and then just let the soup simmer till it boils down a bit.  I left it on for about 45 minutes or so, stirring it occasionally.

Next add the cream cheese (Softened to room temp) and the cream.  Keep the heat on it to help it all melt/blend together.  This is also when you want to add the cheese in.  Once everything is blended together remove from heat and serve.  I tossed some of those mini saltines into mine and they went pretty well with the soup.  Some crusty bread would have also done well.  Hubby and I both thought this was pretty good soup.  You may notice I did not add any seasonings, not even salt.  The mushrooms and the veggies and the broth gave the soup enough flavor that I didn't feel like I needed to add anything else to it.  If you want to feel free to give it a shot.  

This made a pretty good quantity of soup so we do have some leftovers.  I am going to make some plain noodles to toss with the leftovers and that will probably use them all up.  If I was any good at making rice (for some reason I always kill it) it would probably go good with rice as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment