Monday, May 9, 2011

New Recipe 6/52: Bison Meatloaf

So I actually tried this one a while back.  I made the recipe up myself.  We recently found a local store that sells bison meat in one-pound chunks so we will pick some up now and then.  I think bison is super tasty, and it's less fatty than beef.  it's pretty pricy though; where we buy it it is around $9/lb so we don't cook with it more than once every few months or so.


Ingredients: 2 lbs ground bison, I lb ground pork, 1 onion chopped, 1 red bell pepper chopped, 8oz fresh mushrooms, chopped, bread crumbs, 2 garlic cloves, chopped, 2 eggs, red cooking wine, beef stock,
thyme, bay leaves, tomato paste , grill seasoning, black pepper

Chop pepper, mushroom, onion and sauté in  a little olive oil till they are soft.  Add garlic and sauté a few more minutes.  Add a few tbsp. tomato paste and cook till brown.  Add 1 cup red cooking wine, 1 bay leaf, a little thyme, simmer till reduced by about half.  Cover veggies with beef stock and simmer till sauce is thickened.  Add a little flour to thicken if needed.  Scoop out veggies, remove bay leaf and reserve sauce.  Mix veggies with meat, eggs, about ½ cup bread crumbs, some grill seasoning, some black  pepper.  Form into a loaf, if too dry add some of the gravy.  Pour remaining gravy over the top of the loaf and bake at 350 for about an hour and a half, till cooked through.

About the only thing I did different than what is here is the gravy and veggies could not really be separated too well so I just added gravy till the loaf felt right.  You could very easily sub beef for the bison if you don't want to kill your budget, and if you slice the mushrooms instead of chopping them it might make them easier to take out ofthe gravy if you wants.  I am on a mushroom kick lately so I have been trying to find new things to try with them.  :)

And I also want to apologize for not including a pic.  I can't remember for sure if I took one when I made this, if I did it is not saved on the computer I am using right now.  If I come across it on the other 'puter I will add it but otherwise you will have to make it yourself to see what it looks like.  Hint: it looks like a  meatloaf.  

No comments:

Post a Comment