Monday, April 4, 2011

New recipe 1/52: Chili Dog Casserole

Okay so here goes my first recipe blog.  :)  I had some leftover chili to get rid of and lo and behold I came across this recipe at allrecipes.com (I get a daily email from them with recipes so I am on there a lot!!)

So here was the ingredients: 1 package hot dogs (I think I used 7 or 8 out of 10), some leftover chili (about 3-4 cups), tortillas, and cheese.  It was pretty simple, you layer the chili in the bottom of a casserole dish, wrap the hot dogs in the tortillas, and top with the rest of the chili, then cheese, then bake at 425 for 30 minutes (covered).




First of all, yes my chili has corn in it.  I will discuss chili in a later blog post.  :)  Second of all, the original recipe called for 2 cans of chili, I used leftover instead.  It's pretty rare that we eat chili out of a can at my house.

So this was a pretty easy recipe to make.  it got some leftovers out of the fridge and the rest of the ingredients are things i have on hand most of the time anyway.  It didn't take a lot of time to prep and I like having something I can throw in the oven that cooks itself.  However it did seem a little lacking.  Next time I make this I am going to try putting something in the tortilla with the hot dog.  I'm thinking maybe some cream cheese, maybe a flavored cheese spread.  Other than that it was pretty great!!  We didn't finish it all the first night, so there was leftovers of my leftovers.  Which were also pretty tasty.  Some stuff does not do well the next day but this was not one of those dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment