Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Kitchen Chat: Cheat Dinners

So I want to talk about some of the cheat dinners that I make.  Stuff that I don't really cook it's more like I throw it in a pan or in the oven.  We are not big fans of the dinner in a bag that you throw in a pan.  We have tried a lot of them but they all kinda taste the same.  One thing we do like is a frozen stir fry.  The ones that Wan Chai Ferry make are pretty decent, and for now since the kids don't eat a whole lot it stretches for all 5 of us, if we make some eggrolls to go with it.  They have some other ones withe the frozen veggies at walmart and then you get the sauce separate in the asian food aisle.

Another dinner that's easy to make on the fly is burgers n fries, I cheat and get the pre-made patties.  I know, I know, I could make them and freeze them myself but I don't.  it doesn't take much to throw them in the pan and throw some fries in the oven.

When i am feeling really lazy I will throw in a frozen pizza, or we will have what was formerly known as the "pizzaz special"-a bunch of frozen stuff heated up like chicken nuggets, pizza rolls, mozzerella sticks, etc.  Not that we have that stuff all the time for dinner, but once in a while it's nice to take a break.  Once in a while we will let the kids pick what's for dinner and 9 times out of 10 they choose mac and cheese and hot dogs.  Which is also a pretty quick and easy meal to make.  The other thing they pick a lot is pancakes, whcih isn't even much of a cheat, if you think about it.  Who doesn't love breakfast for dinner?  but the cheat there is that I use a pre-made mix.  Once in a while I will try pancakes from scratch but they are never as good as the mixes.

I try to only do a cheat meal once or twice a week.  Of course those are the meals my kids love the most, the stuff that is not as good for them and I barely think about to make.  it's the stuff that I work really hard at that they never wanna try.  *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment